5/9/16

Today It All Worked

With two full time jobs between Hubby and I, three kids with very different schedules and needs, and medical issues that always seem to need attention, each day is different here.  

My grey hairs grow pretty quickly (and let me tell you - I am WAY overdue for a visit to my hair guy - note to self....schedule that pronto!).  Almost every day, I have an internal dialogue with myself about how tomorrow/next week/next month/next project, things are going to run smoothly and efficiently and exactly as planned.  Come back to read more after you stop laughing!!! :) 

Hubby and I run through schedules quick and decide who is taking which kid to their school/daycare in the morning and which one of us can be back on this side of town in time for pickup each day.  Its a give and take and beg and plead kind of situation.  

But sometimes, the madness just works.  

Today was one of those days.  And so it deserves a blog post to mark the occasion. 

Traffic cooperated this afternoon so I could drive from Point A to B to C for Grace's post-op appointment.  Then we rushed, through traffic again, to Point D and E for day care pick ups with perfect timing.  Dinner was in the slow cooker when we walked into the house. No one cried over the chosen menu tonight.  Bedtime was met with hugs and kisses and zero tears.  Homework got done and the violin was practiced.  

On top of all that, I wrote a list of eight things that needed completion tonight for a special event client of mine --- with the event less than a month away, we have a million details to confirm.  Six of those items are checked off and done. Not too bad! 

Weekdays are tough - there is such little time each day when we are all home and awake together. Most nights, Hubby and I see each other over the tops of our laptops on the couch.  Tonight, I can see the top of his head in the recliner as I sit in my office corner confirming event lighting and catering menus. 

I am typing this out and that inner dialogue is running. WHAT about today made things go exactly as planned?  WHY today? WHO made all that happen so well? And I think the answer is really simple - while at work, while with Grace at the doctor, feeding the kids dinner, and then working at home - I was 100% (okay, 90%) focused on the task in front of me.  I wasn't juggling three things at one time - the list was on the counter for work time so I was able to stop thinking of what needed to be done and just enjoy chatting with the kids tonight.  I was able to focus on Grace's medical questions at the doctor and plan out the next surgery without listening to the beeping of incoming emails.  

It's crazy and exhausting and sometimes its really hard to get through the day.  But days like today remind me that it's all possible.  

1 comment:

laura said...

you got this! love you!