7/6/10

Only your real friends will tell you when your face is dirty. ~Sicilian Proverb

This weekend was Fourth of July.  Each year, our friends and family come over to cookout, hang out by the backyard pool, and shoot off fireworks.  And each year, I learn something new - usually things like "next year, I will only use disposable cups so I dont have to do dishes for 3 days" or "make sure towels are washed each night so we dont have to use the good bath towels on the last day by the pool". 

This year I have learned something a bit more important - friends make the world go 'round.  Seems simple enough but its not - it is the most complex lesson I have learned in a long time. 

A good friend is a connection to life - a tie to the past, a road to the future, the key to sanity in a totally insane world. ~Lois Wyse

Looking around the pool deck this weekend, I realized just how different my friendships are.  Some were new friends choosen by Grace - as she makes friends at school, I find myself also starting new friendships with the parents.  Others were friends I knew from work - people I really enjoy being around and am excited to make a bigger part of my "out of the office" life.  There were people there who I or the Hubby have known for more than 10 years, the people who helped make us who we are today.   Some of them I talk to all the time. Others I havent talked directly in months - and now cant wait to see them again. 

Cherish the friend who tells you a harsh truth, wanting ten times more to tell you a loving lie. ~Robert Brault


A friend can tell you things you don't want to tell yourself. ~Frances Ward Weller

My friends told me things this weekend.  Without speaking, they told me things.  Things like "Miss You!" and "We should get together more!" and sadly things like "I dont think you are my friend".  It made me sad (and still makes me sad) to think of - that I tried to support my friend(s) but the intentions were taken out of context and differently than intended.  I can (and did) explain and thats it.  I have to let it go now. Sometimes walking away and getting away is the best thing to do, even when all you want to do is be there.  Because sometimes caring too much is a bad thing and silence is sometimes better than the truth. 

At the end of the weekend, I know that I am lucky to be surrounded by such fantastic people who I get to call friends. 

If fame were based on kindness instead of popularity, on understanding and not on worldwide attention, you would be the biggest celebrity on earth. And to my heart, you already are. ~Anonymous

No comments: