7/8/07

Working At Home

Day care is on vacation this week.

After some re-arranging of work schedules, Hubby and I have figured out a way that one of us can work from home each day to be here with Grace. Sounds fantastic, huh?

Not so much.

Friday, I was home with her. I got some work done but not nearly as much as I had hoped. And Monday (tomorrow) will be the same; Mommy home and Daddy at work.

I used to work at home twice a week when Grace was an infant and I loved it. I was there for naptime and for times when she wanted to be held and cuddled. I was there to watch her learn to eat with utensils.

Now that she is Little Miss Independent, it is harder to work at home when she is here. I dont want to be that mom who plops her kid in front of the tv for an entire day of Disney-movie-watching but I havent found another solution quite yet. Play-doh works for 10 minutes....until she demands that I, too, make bright orange pancakes to feed to her dolls. And coloring is the same thing; just not that much fun to do alone. She is at that age where she will play by herself for 15 minutes or so but then she either needs another activity or needs a playmate (and in this house, I am it!).

But I still need to clock 40 hours this week. I have a ton of things to do. And the next few weeks I am on the road more than I am home.

Ahhh, the age-old question: how does this working mommy balance it all? Why is it that everything these days comes down to that unanswerable question?

1 comment:

Bri said...

Because balance is an ever changing factor - and it's relative to your temperment at that moment, G's temperment and Mr. B's temperment...

You will quickly learn to color with your left hand and type with your right - it's how this mommy gets through those "mommy play with me" moments...because after all mommy has to work to BUY those crayons :)