Okay, so this post is really an update on yesterday's Mean Girl topic. After talking to several people (friends with kids, family, other parents who went through this, friends with child development degrees), I have come up with a few discipline strategies that could work on my Little Miss Diva. Any thoughts on them? Did they work for you? Did they backfire? Looking for all the advice I can get cause honestly, I have NO clue what I am doing right now!
- Continue with the correcting and distracting technique and hope its just a phase that will be outgrown.
- Remove her from the situation immediately and, since she cant play nice, have her play alone until she decides she can be nice to her friends (no hitting, pushing, biting, etc).
- Each time she hits/bites/pushes, take away her favorite toy for a few minutes.
- Reward chart, Supernanny-style.
- Setting her up in a situation where she will most likely show these behaviors (we dont see them as often at home as Afghani sees them at daycare) so that she understands Mommy and Daddy wont put up with them either.
Maybe we try all of them. But then I think she would be confused. Can she even understand a Reward Chart? Does she get it that palying alone is punishment? If I take one certain toy all the time, wont she simply find another one she likes to replace it and stop caring about the initial toy?
And now for some humor......................