11/3/14

7 minutes of Thoughts

The house is quiet. I can hear the construction crews next door and the dog barking outside.  But inside, there is silence.  

It's naptime. We have played and cleaned and watched a movie and done at least one carpool trip already today.  After this small bit of quiet, we will do all of that again before dinnertime.  

At some point, I need to finish cleaning the kitchen --- started a few hours ago but there are still piles of old dishes and of plastic tops that are missing their plastic containers waiting for the trash.  There is also two loads of laundry that need to be folded and put away.  Please dont ask how many loads are waiting for their own turn in the machines.  

The chaos is quiet for now.  Which gives me time to think (and actually eat a meal sitting down).  So what am I thinking about?  

How great my kids are.  

How messy this kitchen is and why i decided to clean out cabinets today. 

How fast the minutes are going by today but how slow each hour is. 

How I am feeling so frustrated with my own parenting skills lately. 

How we are going pull together the holidays on a much stricter budget this year. 

How I cant wait for a date night this weekend (I have a slight recollection of what those are but hoping for just some good time alone with the hubby out of the house.)

How excited and anxious I am for the phone to ring with new opportunities and new customers and new ways to get to where I want to be.  

How I am so grateful to be home with my babies and so sad that it will end sometime soon.....which has made me cry into my cold mac-and-cheese.   

............and now after 7 minutes of quiet, I hear the sounds of a waking baby and a preschooler destroying his room.  No more thinking.........time for work! 

1 comment:

Eileen is the Queen said...

Great writing Jaime. The years of juggling it all are so difficult but you have it right. Leave the dishes and play with the kids as you are doing. Take a deep breath and enjoy the 7 minutes and your date nights but most of all enjoy your kids. They are amazing as you are too. Love, Aunt Eileen