8/24/06

Happy Birthday, Katy

Funny. Beautiful. Loving. Supportive. Motherly. Did I mention hysterical!? Strong.

All these words describe my mother in law, Katy. Well, these words tell you a little about her. Words cannot truly describe Katy. If you knew her, you already know that. But for those of you who never had the chance to know the most amazing person in the world, maybe you will leave this post feeling that you knew her, even just a little.

She was the first person to know about my impending engagement to her baby boy. Katy cried her eyes out when I showed her the ring on my finger the next day. She and I used to sit in the family room, smoking cigs, watching NYPD Blue and Dave Letterman every Tuesday night. In fact, that is where I sat, 3 1/2 months pregnant, tying ribbon on wedding invitations (no cigs that night!). She was so supportive of Hubby and I from the first day we started dating. She was in the only one who KNEW from the very beginning of my pregnancy that I was having a girl, even when I SWORE I had the boy instinct (obviously I was wrong and Katy was right!). I loved her from the moment I met her, years ago now.

Katy lived with Multiple Sclerosis for over 25 years, 15 of which were spent as a quadrapelgic. She died on March 28, 2004; 14 days before Grace was born. The last moment I spent with Katy was just an hour before she passed away. I climbed up on her bed (she was at home for the death process and with all her children; just the way she would have wanted it) and my sister in law laid her arm across my HUGE belly. At that very moment, Grace kicked. They had their own private moment. Even today, we call Grace "Katy's Angel".

Today, August 24, is Katy's birthday. We celebrate each year with Rueben sandwiches; they were her favorite.

Katy----wherever you are today, we love you and we miss you so much. Thank you for sending us your little angel.....she is taking good care of your baby boy and of her mommy.

3 comments:

-L said...

What a great tribute to Katy. She was a remarkable woman with such a positive spirit. I think everyone that met her has benefited in some way.

I think she is smiling now, wherever she is. Happy Birthday.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Katy :)

TeamWinks said...

It brought tears to my eyes, Jaime. She was remarkable, even though we only knew her for a brief period of time.