3/1/06

Mommy Wars

I was planning on posting something totally different than this but......I have something to say and here it is: Can't we all just get along!!!????

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/AmericanFamily/story?id=1648502&page=1 This is an article on ABCnews.com. I hate everything that the article says about Mommy Wars and think that it makes all of us look like selfish people. In fact, if you know anyone who is a parent, then you know that no parent has the time or the option to be selfish!!

The Mommy Wars are alive and well and RIDICULOUS! Whether you are a stay-at-home-mom (SAHM) or a working mom or a combination of both, you are doing the best you can for your child, your family, and whatever particular situation you are in.

I chose to be a working mom. It is the best thing for my family. While there are days that I wish I could stay home with my daughter, I know deep down that the decision to work outside the home is the best for us. I have friends who work at home, friends who are SAHMs, and friends who work outside the home. And I can say that each of these women struggle with their decision every day, face challenges every day, and at the end of the day, each of them knows that they are doing the best they can for their child/ren.

We are all in the same boat. So how about we stop criticizing all the other mothers and just support each other? Being a mom (or a dad) is hard enough so why all the hard feelings towards each other?! I really dont want this to sound like a "Kumbaya" post but seriously!!!!! Every parent makes decisions for their family. Let's not critcize other people's decisions without knowing why they made that decision. In fact, let's help each other through the tough days. My SAHM friends complain that they miss adult conversation during the day and my working mom friends (and me) complain that they miss their child/ren during the day. Instead of talking about each other and being so damn negative, why dont we help wach other through these struggles?!?!?!

We all have our own internal struggles with our working-or-stay-home decision. Do we need to make it harder on ourselves by criticizing every other mother we know? Does the media really need to make it worse by writing articles/new casts such as ABC's? I think not.

This mother is proud of her decision, of her family, and of herself for making the decision to work outside the home. This mother is also proud of her friends that have made different decisions. We all have fantastic children and are becoming better mothers with each passing day.

So there it is, my rant of the day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seriously though - its a very real thing. For some reason there are mom's out there that are super competitive (grandmothers too!). I've had people say things like, "My kid did this this and this...is Ashley?" And not in a nice way! In a, my kid is obviously "advanced", please take notice...It's been a weird thing to see as a new mom. As per our usual response, we disassociated from the offending parties...no need for the drama - especially when it comes to my baby!

MrsFortune said...

As a mom to be in two months I am sooooo dreading this!!! Really and truly I agree with what you wrote in this post and what the other two commenters have said.

PS I hate Dr. Phil and everything associated with him.