2/6/06

The Toddler Transition

A few posts ago I mentioned that the pediatrician wants me to get Grace a potty so that she can start exploring it. To me, that was the first big sign that I no longer have a baby but a child! While looking over some "How-To" articles on the potty training subject, I came across an article about transitioning from a crib to a bed. Well, surprise---its time! The specifications on Grace's crib says that you should discontinue use as a crib when the child reaches 34-35 inches in height. Grace is 35 1/2 inches tall (and getting taller everyday!).

SO potty training has taken a back seat for the time being and we are embracing the toddler bed!

Now for the plan of action.
  • My biggest fear is that Grace will get out of bed in the middle of the night and get hurt since we wont be in the room with her every time she gets out of bed. SO, action #1: toddler-proof her bedroom. Somehow I am going to have to find locks for the dresser drawers (she loves to open and close them) because I dont want them to become ladders in her quest to climb and I am going to have to find every small item in that room and remove them.
  • The other big fear is that she will fall out of bed and hurt herself. Action: Have Bill bring up extra mattress to put next to her bed so she can fall on that instead of the floor.
  • All the "experts" out there say to let the toddler pick out new "big girl" sheets to make them feel empowered. Maybe we will take a family trip to Target for some Dora sheets this week.

My action plan needs more!!! But I am just not sure how all of this is going to go. Will she flip out when she realizes that the crib has changed? Will she fall out of bed? Will she like being in a "big girl" bed? Will she even understand what is happening!!! Luckily, the crib is a covertible crib so nothing will really change for her when we convert it except the one of the railings will get dramatically shorter. I hope that makes a difference since this is excatly why I bought the convertible model!

Wish us luck!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, "The Experts" say that after your toddler has transitioned to their Big Kid Bed is a good time to bring on Baby #2!!!

Unknown said...

:) I dare you to call and tell Bill that piece of advice!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh its on now! I'll be calling Mr. Barnhart this evening... :)

CameraDawktor said...

Something you might want to consider: I have 3 kids and we didn't use a real "toddler" bed for any of them. We put a futon mattress on the floor (no risk of them rolling out of bed). Of course you do have to deal w/ it being easy to get out of bed, but let's face it, kids are getting used to listening to their parents at this age anyway. Just be consistent and FIRM! I like your site! Check out my blog @ www.troublealwayshasadoor.blogspot.com it has similar MOM stuff & misc.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting and commenting. I fear she will come visit us in the middle of the night - and the falling as well. We should buy a potty for her, but right now she really has no interest in it - we just tell her when we go and she says "peeeeeeppeeee" LOL

Cute babe, that little one of yours!